Fort Hood is surrounded by great neighbors like
Killeen, Copperas Cove, and Harker Heights who host exciting events
all year. From carnivals to festivals, to parades and more,
there is always something to do both on and off post.
City of Harker Heights: special events such as Frost Fest, Farmer’s Market, and other fun events are held in Harker Heights.
City of Killeen: Killeen brings seasonal carnivals, the Rodeo, and special events like Celebrate Killeen Festival.
Vive Les Arts: Love the theater and an affordable price? Visit VLA for their production offerings.
City of Copperas Cove: Copperas Cove is known for hosting their annual Rabbit Fest where thousands of people gather to celebrate the season.
City of Austin: Being weird is what they pride themselves on, check out the plethora of attractions, live music offerings, concerts, film festivals, Mexican Migrating bats on Congress bridge and so much more.
City of Dallas: Home of America’s Team, the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Texas is a short three-hour drive from Fort Hood. Take in the sights of the city, shop, enjoy sports attractions and historical sites.
City of San Antonio: A short three-hour drive from Fort Hood is home of Fiesta, a week long city party, San Antonio is rich in culture and history with Missions, The Alamo, The Riverwalk, and attractions such like Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas Theme Parks.
Schools & Child Care
Fort Hood has a uniquely different approach to education with an independent school system. Find out more about the Killeen Independent School District by clicking “Go” below.
Child and Youth Services (CYS) provides programs and services for children of eligible military and civilian families. Within CYS you will find something to meet your family’s needs including full, part-time and hourly care options, camps, programs and more.
Our community is pleased to offer playgrounds, bike and walking trails, and even splash parks!
AAFES – Fort Hood Exchange offers many services including food courts, shopping, restaurants, gas stations, and more!
- RealTime Theater - 761st Tank Battalion Ave & 31st
- The Fort Hood Exchange hosts a plethora of events at various locations. Find out more by visiting their Facebook page.
USO offers a variety of events and programs to help boost the morale of service members and their families. Enjoy a Movie on the Lawn, get assistance while transitioning from the Military, or volunteer with the fantastic organization.
- Events: Power lunch Hours, Coffee Connections, special events, and more!
- Programs: Movies on the Lawn Series, Game Nights, Pathfinder lunch & learns, and Power Hour lunch
- Tickets: Want to experience fun attractions outside of the Fort Hood Area? Check out discounted ticket prices for trips to San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston at Leisure Travel Service.
Darnall is the premier health care on Fort Hood. They offer a variety of clinics and community based medical homes for active duty, retirees, and family members within a 40-mile radius. The new hospital has state of the art facilities and offerings.
Commissary has all your grocery needs with the best prices and selection in meats, features a fresh deli, a bakery, fresh produce, and on-site sushi chefs.
The Fort Hood Veterinary Center provides high quality, economical, medical care to animals of the Great Place. They provide zoonotic disease prevention in an expedient, friendly, and readily accessible manner to authorized military beneficiaries.
Fort Hood Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) hosts monthly events to keep service members and families engaged and entertained. Enjoy a Flashlight Easter Egg Hunt, Month of the Military Child Fest, Ben Hogan Golf Classic Free Golf event, Fun Run Athletic Events, Oktoberfest, and so much more!
- MWR Program Offerings – There is always somewhere to go or something to do on Fort Hood thanks to DFMWR. Enjoy a game of bowling at the Phantom Warrior Lanes, arts and crafts at Apache Arts & Crafts Center, yell Bingo at Community Events and Bingo Center, or find the community support you need. Recreation of all kinds can be had on Fort Hood with the ATV Park, BLORA ranch, Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area, outdoor pools, and many other offerings.
- Fitness Centers - Stay mission-ready with the many fitness centers throughout the installation including 6 Physical Fitness Centers and 3 Functional Fitness Centers. Open to all DOD ID Card Holders.
Map & Directions
From I-14, take the T. J. Mills Blvd Main Gate or
Marvin Leath Visitor’s Center exit. Proceed through the gate and
turn left into the parking lot of Bldg 18010 T. J. Mills Blvd past
Click here to view our community and neighborhood map.